Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Surrogate mum number two update

We received an update from the Dr yesterday regarding surrogate mum number two. All is well with the surrogate mother and the baby. So we still have three healthy babies on the go. All of the measurements  are within the normal range. All the pregnancies are at 16 weeks and 4 days. We are now getting very close to the halfway point or 20 weeks however after reading many of the other blogs it appears as if many of the pregnancies  only go for between 32 and 35 weeks for twins and between 33 and 36 weeks for singles. . We are still hopeful that the babies will make it all of the way however being the realist that I am, I feel that we are very close to the halfway point.

We are continuing to prepare the house for the new arrivals. The  newly levelled back yard has grass growing on it. The blinds in the family room have been replaced and the colour scheme and blinds for the nursery have been decided on. We only have to buy the baby car seats, at 30 weeks, and the high chairs. We pretty much have everything under control. 

I will update the blog as we receive further information. 

Monday, September 27, 2010

Progress update 27 September

After a week of waiting we received a scan from the Dr on Saturday morning. This is the 16 week scan. The twins are progressing well with all vital statistics within the normal range. One twin is 16 weeks and 1 day and the other is 15 weeks and 5 days. As we haven't heard otherwise we are assuming that the surrogate mother is also progressing well with the pregnancy.

We are still waiting to hear from the Dr regarding the progress of our high risk pregnancy.

I will provide further updates as more information comes to hand.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Preparations continue.

It has been about 3 weeks since we received the last scan so we have requested an update from the Dr. We are a little concerned due to the surrogate mother losing one on the twins several weeks back. We are hoping to hear something back in the near future.

Preparations are well underway around the house now. A small brick  retaining wall has been built and about 1/2 of the back yard is now level. As we still have some time up our sleeve so we decided to sow seeds and watch the grass grow. As we didn't use that area we thought that the grass will have ample time to grow before they arrive in January, February or March next year. If the seeds don't grow plan B, turf, will be implemented.

The third Stokke cot arrived on sunday. So if all goes to plan we will have enough bedding for all of the kids when they get back home. The new TV arrived yesterday. You need a new TV for the children to watch when they get older, plus it will help stay at home dad retain some of his sanity during the long days of baby duty plus, it looks really nice.

We are trying to work out when to book flights and accommodation for the trip to India. Picking a date for travel is like picking the winning lottery numbers. 35 weeks will be 4 February and 37 weeks will be 18 February. My leave will start on week February 18 and Dad will going on leave as at 4 February. These dates could be slightly optimistic however they will be in the best of care in hospital if the come earlier than planned.

We are applying for our Indian visa at the beginning of December. This will allow us with some flexibility with travel if they come early however we are hoping that everything will be fine. Will update when more information becomes available.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Another day - another update

After a week of waiting I finally heard from our HR area regarding my leave entitlement. I should probably set the scene by saying that I work for a branch of the federal public service. Due to recent changes in tax laws, family benefit laws and so on, our agency agreement recognises that fact that not all families consist of the traditional family unit. The fine print in our agency agreement only mentioned a definition of  multiple births with reference to one pregnancy, obviously not realising that a situation such as mine may exist. Ordinarily, our situation probably wouldn't exist however we have just been lucky with two surrogate mums pregnant however in this game we must remember that things can change at the drop of a hat.

So the outcome was that I am eligible for 2 weeks paid leave for each of the pregnancies.  This of course has to be approved by the delegate (Manager) but this shouldn't be a problem. This will work out well if the twins come early and the singleton arrives on time. This will allow me to go to India for the first  bub retrieval trip and the stay home looking after the twins during the next baby run.

We now have two stokke cots for the babies. One is in the cupboard and the other is set up in one of the spare room. We have decided on which room is going to be the nursery. I wanted to put them in the front room however I was told , 'No', as they would be too far from the main bedroom. So the room next to ours is going to be the nursery. The next step will be to start clearing the room out and replacing the carpet with a wooden floor. The beauty of the stoke cots is that they can be moved from room to room with ease, with the babies in them.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Another 13 week update

We just received another email from the Dr. All is well with surrogate mum number two and the twins.  Movement observed. Gestational age 13 weeks 2 days and 13 weeks 3 days. Nasal bone present. No obvious abnormalities. All other stats seem ok at this stage. This is good news for now. So at this stage it is looking pretty good for three however we still have a high risk pregnancy with surrogate mum number one

Friday, September 3, 2010

Week 13 update - A picture.

We received an email from the Doctor today. The email included the results of the 13 weeks scan of the single baby. We are now 3 weeks on from the when the surrogate mother lost one of the twins and it appears as if things are still progressing. Gestational age is 13 weeks 4 days. Heartbeat 144. Grade 0 posterior low lying placenta. The rest of the info appears to ok. We are are waiting for the scans and report for the surrogate mother who is carrying the twins. We are assuming that they will be sent in the coming days. We now only have 26 weeks remaining of constantly monitoring the inbox, hoping that we don't receive that awful email first thing in the morning. With the hurdles that we have had with this and other pregnancies along the way, I will be apprehensive about celebrating until bub has arrived. I have included a copy of the latest scan.